Knee Replacement in India - Take a new stance in life
If your Knee has been in pain and have been suggested of Knee Replacement surgery, please read more to take a bold new stance in life..
|Painful knee joints may cripple your daily activities|
You have remained in pain and have been managing the pain with some or the other conservative treatments. But it’s getting difficult by the day, and the treatments don’t seem to be working for you anymore.
The next step your doctor has recommended is replacing your knee joint and you also know its best done as early as possible. You are no longer ready to bear the pain and know that this is what will give you a new stance in life. This will significantly help relieve the pain you are suffering and will improve the function in your severely diseased knee joint.
You would do good to consider the following risks and benefits before having your knee replaced. And it will also mean preparing for a dedicated rehabilitation efforts for weeks / months after the surgery.
Keep in mind, Knee is a complex hinge joint!
|Knee joint anatomy|
Knee joint not only allows you to bend and extend you lower leg, but also has a roll and glide feature, which makes it a complex mechanism. Like the grease, surfaces of this joint are covered with cartilage, which a smooth, cushiony substance which enables smooth movements with in the sliding surfaces of the joint. Ligaments which are attached to bones in the upper and lower leg provide stability and the long muscles in the thigh provide strength and stability.
When does a Knee Joint require a Replacement?
Total Knee Replacement (TKR) is most commonly done to improve pain and function of a knee joint which has got damaged due to conditions such as Osteoarthritis (OA) or Rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
Osteoarthritis (OA) usually comes with old age and is a condition marked by loss of cartilage and sometimes loss of bone on the surface of knee joint. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a condition marked by inflammation that causes painful swelling, which eventually can destroy cartilage and bone around the joint.
When is the time to act?
When the pain in the joint significantly affects your day-to-day activities, such as walking, climbing stairs, getting in and out of chair, getting down from bed etc. And even when you are resting moderate to severe pain may persist.
A Total Knee Replacement (TKR) is usually performed when other conservative treatments like modification in activity levels, use of walking aid, pain relievers or anti-inflammatory medications have lost their affect and are not helping any more.
Who can undergo Total Knee Replacement (TKR)?
Total Knee Replacement (TKR) can be carried out on adults of all ages, but it is most common for older adults. General health of the person, especially following factors should be taken in account before deciding to carry out the replacement –
· Diabetic condition
· Infections or conditions that may restrict bold flow
· For younger or relatively more active adults, life span is an important consideration because of normal wear and tear of the replaced knee joint. Abuse of the replaced joint may however be a cause of concern at any age
Benefits from the replacement of knee should be weighed against following risks related to the surgery, which may include –
· Knee stiffness
· Blood clotting in the leg veins or lungs, and potential for heart attack, stroke and nerve damage
· There also exists a small chance that the pain may not go away and functions don’t return to the levels of a healthy knee
What will be the installation & action plan for knee replacement surgery?
Before the surgery –
· An orthopaedic surgeon will assess the range of motion, stability and strength of your knee
· X-ray will be done to view the extent of damage
|New components fitted during Knee Replacement|
During the surgery –
· You will be given either general, spinal or epidural anaesthesia with sedation, so that you don’t have pain from the waist down.
· Surgery generally takes less than two hours
· Surgeon will remove damaged cartilage and bone to prepare the joint surfaces for new components to be fitted
· Specialized metal and plastic components are positioned to achieve near frictionless joint surfaces
· Before the incision is closed, your surgeon will check to see if the knee works properly
After the Surgery –
· Typically, you will need to spend a couple of nights in the hospital
· You pain relief may be managed with injecting a local anesthetic to numb the set of nerves that give sensation to your leg
· You may be given intravenous antibiotics to prevent infections
· Special support stockings or special compression bots may be used to help promote circulation of blood, and you may also be given blood thinners
Post-operative rehabilitation –
· This typically begins the day after surgery is done, and you will be taught simple exercises which will promote circulation
· A physical therapist will teach you a range of motions that will help in strengthening and achieving range of motions
Where Total Knee Replacement (TKR) surgery be done?
A good surgeon, a good clinical facility at a cost which you can afford are the very obvious pre-requisites! You may do a bit of research to choose an option which may be best for you. And if you are on a budget, and do not want to compromise on quality of surgeon or facility, you may also choose to avail the surgery abroad. A quick comparison of major destinations may help you make an informed choice.
Surgery cost ($)
11,000 - 13,000
45,000 – 60,000
27,000 – 45,000
Travel to India related cost ($)
750 to 1000
11,825 – 14,075
45,000 – 60,000
25,000 – 40,000
27,000 – 45,000
Do I need a health travel planner and facilitator to arrange my surgery abroad?
A reputed health travel planner and facilitator may be of great help when seeking an option beyond the borders of your own country. An experienced facilitator may provide you with a ready dossier of preferred surgeons and clinics, and at negotiated better than retail rates with clinics, surgeons and hotels. A well-researched facilitator may also be of lot of convenience as you are saved of checking destination opportunities, clinic’s accreditations, surgeons’ credentials, research and arrangements with surgeons’ appointments, airport pick-ups and drop-offs, accommodation arrangements, sightseeing and more..
IndiCure is the most renowned and trusted name in planning and facilitating your Knee Replacement surgery in India with the best of orthopaedic surgeons at world class clinical facilities. Increasing number of patients from across the world have successfully undergone Knee Replacement surgery with IndiCure in India.
For more information on your surgery in India, you may write at email@example.com or call at +91 9818462127 or +91 932036777