Gamma Knife Brain Surgery
Gamma Knife radiosurgery is considered by most neurosurgeons as the “gold standard” for brain tumours and various other brain lesions. Many researches have shown that Gamma knife surgery has given equally good or even better results than conventional bran surgery in many cases without even the need for surgical incision or long recovery in the hospital. Most neurosurgeons across the world thus consider Gamma knife surgery as an alternative or in some cases adjunct to traditional neurosurgery procedures.
Gamma Knife surgery entails a SINGLE one to two hour procedure in which around 200 beams of gamma rays are focussed at the target with the aim of matching the delivered radiation with the shape of the tumour. Each beam has very little effect on the tissue it passes through, but a strong dose is delivered at the site where the beams meet. This way, gamma knife rays are concentrated in the tumour to shrink or destroy lesions even those deep in the cerebral hemispheres or brain stem.
Advantages of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery over Conventional Brain surgery
- Gamma knife surgery is incision- less, requires no shaving and burring of head and thus no risk of hemorrhage and infection.
- There is no need for general anaesthesia and thus can be safely done in patients where it is risky to give anaesthesia.
- Risk of damage to nearby or surrounding tissues is minimal, which is sometimes high with open surgery.
- High precision and safety are the greatest advantage of Gamma knife. The beam is targeted through a secure head frame to avoid head movement, this ensures safety and precision up to half a millimetre
- No long recovery periods and hospitalization required. Procedure is done either on OPD basis or needs a very short stay at the hospital.
- Early recovery and return to work makes it all the more cost effective
When is Gamma Knife Indicated?
Gamma Knife is most commonly indicated for treating brain metastases which afflicts almost 25% of people suffering from cancer. Other indications for gamma knife radiosurgery include brain tumours (primary and benign), AVMs (Arterio Venous Malformations), acoustic neuroma and Trigeminal neuralgia.
Gamma Knife surgery cost in India
Easy and Fast Steps to plan your or your loved one’s Gamma Knife surgery in India
Following are easy and simple steps to receive prompt treatment by Gamma knife for Brain tumours in India1. Fill in the inquiry form and send your medical reports to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. We send you the doctor’s opinion and you can ask all your questions
3. We help you get the medical visa, finalize the dates and book your tickets
4. We pick you from the airport and take you the hospital and arrange your accommodation, sim card and all that you require in India.
You can call us at +91 9818462127 or +91 9320036777, write to us at email@example.com or find us on skype @IndiCure