Obesity - an Epidemic that can be Prevented
World Health Organization has categorized obesity as a world-wide epidemic. It is the fifth leading cause of global deaths. Obesity has become a great concern among healthcare providers and policy maker’s across the world as it is an increasing cause of burden on healthcare system. Considered a problem only in high income countries a few years back, obesity has now dramatically risen in low and middle income countries adding all the more burden to the healthcare system.
|Obesity has become an epidemic- however is treatable|
A few quick facts about Obesity:
- Incidence of Obesity has doubled since 1980
- In 2011, more than 40 million adults under the age of five were overweight
- Obesity is the fifth leading cause of death in the world
- More than 65% of the world’s population lives in countries where overweight and obesity kills more than underweight
What is Obesity?
- Diabetes, considered to be a slow killer and precursor of many other diseases
- Heart diseases and Stroke- leading cause of death in 2008
- Osteoarthritis and other degenerative bone disorders
- Endometrial, Breast and Colon cancer
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea