Backache is one of the most common problems worldwide and almost everyone experiences it at some point of life. It is one of the major causes of disability affecting performance at work and general well-being. Inappropriate working environment, bad postural habits, lack of physical activity and exercise, mental as well as physical stress are making people prone to develop back pain at a very early age.
It is thus of utmost importance to take preventive measures as soon as possible to avoid back pain and also further complications of back pain like slipped or herniated disc, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis, stenosis and many more, if you are already suffering from it.
Fortunately, there are various means to fight back pain and get away from it effectively and easily. Here are some things that should be followed to avoid backache.
1. Improve your sleeping habits
You can get your back injured or strained due to poor sleeping habits. Although your back muscles are quite strong, they also need proper environment and rest to serve you well.
You can incorporate few things while sleeping to avoid backache:
· Use firm mattress that provides adequate support to your spine.
· Avoid sleeping on your back or belly for longer hour as it causes undue strain to your back muscles. If possible, use one or two pillows beneath your knees while lying on your back to relax the back muscles and prevent from arching.
· Sleeping on your side is the best position that you should encourage with knees slightly bent and a small cushion between your legs.
|Sleeping on your side is the best position to avoid stress to your back.|
2. Keep a check on your posture
People are susceptible to develop low back pain particularly due to bad postures. Keep a constant and periodic check on your posture.
|Use a comfortable and good posture while sitting.|
· Your head is elevated and in line with your body/torso
· Your shoulders in proper position, not slouched or depressed.
· Your upper back and chest is in upright and straight position
3. Make your workstation ergonomically appropriate
If you spend long hours working in bad posture, even God cannot help your back pain.
|Have an ergonomic workstation|
Follow the ergonomics to avoid undue strain on your spine;
· Avoid sitting in one positions for longer. Keep changing your position.
· Sit in an upright position
· Keep your feet supported and flat on the ground while sitting
· Take a break of at least 5 minutes every 1-2 hour and roam around, take a walk, stand and stretch your neck, arms and back muscles.
4. Encourage appropriate stretching and strengthening exercises regularly
When your back aches, you might avoid exercising making your back muscles even weaker and thus making your back more susceptible to pain and discomfort. Regular exercising enhances the flexibility and heals your back pain. You can try some of these exercises to for pain relief;
· Pelvic flattening exercise:
lie on your back, keeping your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Now, using your hands pull one of your knee close to your chest and hold for 10-15 seconds and return to the stating position and repeat the same with another knee. Then perform with both knees simultaneously. Repeat each stretch for 5 times twice a day.
· Spinal rotations: lie on your back, knees bent and arm bent below the head. Now lift your bent knees slightly off the ground and roll on one side, hold for 5-10 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat the same on opposite side. Perform each stretch for 5 times twice a day.
· Upper back stretch: sit on a bench feet supported in good posture. Pull both your shoulders backwards together. Hold for 10 seconds and return to starting position. Repeat the exercise for 5 times twice daily.
5. Intake of calcium and vitamin D supplements for improving bone health
Increase your calcium and vitamin D intake as its deficiency can manifest back pain with diffuse bone pain. Take ample amount of sunlight, dietary supplements that will help in improving the bone health and lowering the risk of back problems.
However, if you are already a victim of back pain; you should:
6. Discover the cause of your back pain
Diagnosing the root cause of your back pain is very important to pursue the appropriate treatment. Seek the specialized help if the pain is severe and persist for more than a week.
It can be a consequence of multiple factors like;
· Old age
· Disc herniation or prolapsed intervertebral disc
· Spinal deformities like scoliosis, kyphosis, exaggerated lumbar lordosis
· Injury or compression fractures
7. Hot and cold therapy for symptomatic relief
Use moist heat in the form of hot packs, hot towels, or steam for 10-15 minutes as heat therapy is an effective source for immediate relief of painful symptoms. Ice packs or ice towels can alternatively be used as it constricts the blood vessel thus alleviating the pain and swelling.
|A Hot/Cold pack to ease the pain|
The above mentioned tips are only general tips and cannot substitute a medical advice. If you are suffering from prolonged back pain, and medicines and physiotherapy has failed to help, see a spine specialist. IndiCure is the most renowned medical tourism company in India providing spine surgery in India with best spine surgeons in India at most affordable cost.