The role of medical tourism for organ transplantation in India
The concept of medical tourism has taken the world by storm. Each year, more and more tourists wish to travel overseas to seek medical aid. This is because medical tourism offers high-tech healthcare services along with being economical for complex medical procedures. In fact, the top hospitals in India have helped India rank amongst the top three medical tourism destinations in Asia. They boast of having a promising medical tourism industry that is growing at an estimated rate of 30% per year. It is on par with its western counterparts, USA, UK, Russia, and many more. The most common treatments include heart surgery, plastic and cosmetic surgery, and organ transplant.
|Medical Tourism in India offers high-tech healthcare services.|
Organs that can be transplanted include heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, pancreas, small intestine, eyes, and thymus. These could be from a relative, spouse, friend, or simply someone who wishes to donate. Of course, these depend upon the organ donor's age, medical condition, and/or condition at the time of death. An organ transplant is a treatment alternative, not a cure, however, one can live a long and healthy life if they follow the right diet, exercise regularly, and know their individual limits, though, it may not be the best treatment option for everyone.
Guidelines for managing health after the surgery
After an organ transplant surgery, most patients instantly feel better, however, given below are some tips for managing your health after the surgery.
- It is vital to keep up with your doctor appointments, undertake the necessary lab tests, and keep a tab on your pulse, blood pressure, weight, and cholesterol.
- It is advisable to take immunosuppressive drugs (lower the body's normal immune response). They help to avert the immune system from attacking (rejecting) the new organ. This is because organ rejection is an invariable threat and needs extreme caution.
- Avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking and excessive drinking. Have a nutritious diet that consists of raw fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water, cut down on salt and include high-protein foods such as lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs, etc.
- Take ample rest and exercise regularly, but take it slow. Start with walking and then steadily increase the workout intensity with cycling, jogging, swimming, etc.
- You may face instances when you see there is hair growth or hair loss, acne, mood swings, round face, dry mouth, ulcers, enlarged gums, etc. In times like these consult your doctor and they will accordingly adjust your prescriptions to curtail the side effects without adding risk of organ rejection.
Since a liver, kidney transplant is a major surgery; it will take time to get back to eating normally, moving around, and following a normal routine of activities, hobbies, and work. The idea is to take things moderately and understand your limits and be in constant touch with the doctor for any medical assistance.
Any surgery is a serious preposition and requires fore-thought, complete understanding of the procedure and the outcome, along with the conscious decision to choose the best surgeons and top hospitals in India for your organ transplant surgery.
For further details on organ transplant in India contact IndiCure that has the list of best surgeons in India who will ensure the surgery is in safe hands and low-priced. To get a free medical opinion from our expert surgeons, please e-mail your medical history and diagnostic reports to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91-932-003-6777 | +1-877-270-2448 or Skype us @ Indicure