Breast implants surgery - important things you should know
- Saline or Silicone implants- If you are confused between the two, it may be helpful to know that more than 75% of the women choose to get silicone implants over saline. The reasons are many- natural feel and appearance; silicone implants are lighter and softer. There are no chances of deflation with almost nil chances of leakage with forth generation cohesive gel silicone implants. They come in different shapes, sizes and texture.
For women, who want little smaller incision and lesser cost option, saline implants are better alternative. You can discuss your options in detail with your plastic surgeon in India to have a better understanding.
- Size of the implants– determining size of breast implants unnerves most women. Almost all are concerned about either ending up being too big or less than desired size of breast size. Many surgeons state that their patients tell them “My friend has 350 cc implants and hers look great, so I want the same.”It is important to note that each body and its shape are different. It is not necessary if 350 cc implants look great on her, they would look the same on you.
The surgeons have a scientific way of calculating the appropriate size. They take various measurements and advise the best size according to your body. Your plastic surgeon in India would give you different sizers to try and would make you a part of the decision making process.
- Position of the implant- Implant placement can be sub-muscular also
called sub-pectoral (below the pectoral muscle) or sub-glandular (below the
breast tissue). Different surgeons have different opinions about where to place
the implants and what gives most natural results. Both have their advantages
and disadvantages. You can discuss your options with your plastic surgeon in
detail during face to face discussion for an informed decision.
- Incision- Though there are different standard incisions techniques through which implant placement can be done, most surgeons use either of these three techniques for breast augmentation- Peri-areolar, Infra-mammary or trans-axillary incision. All of them have their own unique advantages and disadvantages. Your plastic surgeon shall discuss the options with you and advise the type of incision based on your body type, implant size and type and your lifestyle.
- Surgeon’s experience- One of the most important factors in determining successful breast implants surgery is the surgeon’s expertise in performing breast augmentation. Before you sign in for the surgery, make sure you have a good look at the profile of the surgeon, check if he is board certified, how many breast augmentation surgeries has he performed, have a look at few before after pictures of the patients he has operated and talk to few of his past clients.