What is a Pacemaker?
A pacemaker is a small electronic device that is placed in the chest or abdomen of the patient to keep a track of the heart rate and control abnormal heart rhythms. It also generates a signal that helps the heart to beat at the correct pace or normal rate.
What is a Pacemaker used for?
Pacemaker is used to treat arrhythmias or problems with the rate or rhythm of the heart beat. Human heart rate is controlled by a natural electrical system that tells the heart when to beat. In case of improper functioning of the electrical system, heart rate can be too fast (tachycardia), too slow (bradycardia), or irregular.
In such a situation, the heart may not be able to pump the required amount of blood to the body parts leading to symptoms like:
- Light headedness
- Shortness of breath
These symptoms may be a consistent problem or may occur occasionally. They are more noticeable during physical activity. Severe arrhythmias can damage the vital organs of the body and may even cause loss of consciousness or death.
Sometimes arrhythmia can be managed with medication or in other situations, a pacemaker is implanted. It can relieve the symptoms and can help a person resume a more active lifestyle.
What are the different types of pacemaker?
Pacemaker is of following three types according to the number of electrodes and is chosen by the cardiologist depending upon the heart problem:
- Single-chamber pacemaker has only one electrode and is implanted in either the right atrium or the right ventricle of the heart.
- Dual-chamber pacemaker has two electrodes that coordinate the signal between the right atrium and the right ventricle.
- Bi-ventricular pacemaker has 3 electrodes that are implanted in the right atrium, right ventricle and left ventricle.
Preparing for Pacemaker Implant Surgery
Implanting a pacemaker requires some preparation from the patient and physician. Following points should be considered and kept in mind before the procedure:
- Discuss the details of the procedure with your physician
- Clear all the queries and concerns related to the procedure and its pre-post preparations
- Sign the consent form during a visit prior to the procedure
- Inform your physician about any physical conditions and medications taken by you
- Follow all the instructions provided by your surgeon like fasting before the procedure, skipping certain medications etc.
- Get all the pre-operative tests done before the procedure
- Wear comfortable clothes while going to the hospital for the procedure
- Leave all jewelry and valuables at home
- Arrange for a companion who can drive you home after the procedure as you will be receiving a sedative and may be discharged on the same day
- You may need to stay at the hospital under observations for few days
If you are travelling abroad for heart surgery, you should have answers to the following questions:
- How many days would you stay at the hospital?
- How many days would you stay in India?
- Who is your treating doctor and what are his credentials?
- Which hospital would the procedure be performed at?
- What is the total cost including the cost of stay outside the hospital, visa, travel etc?
This shall help you plan your medical trip better and you would be faced with little surprises on arrival.
What happens during the Pacemaker Implant Procedure?
Pacemaker implantation is usually performed under general anaesthesia. The surgeon inserts a needle into a large vein near one of the shoulder to guide the wires of pacemaker and correctly place them in the heart. The procedure is guided by an x-ray "movie". After successfully placing the wires, surgeon makes a small cut into the skin of the chest or abdomen and inserts the pacemaker just under the skin. This is connected to the wires that lead it to the heart. It is then tested to make sure it works properly.
How Does a Pacemaker Work?
A pacemaker comprises of a battery, a computerized generator, and wires with electrodes. The electrodes track the heart rhythm and send this information to the computer through wires. In case of abnormal heart rhythm, the computer directs the generator to send electrical pulses to the heart through the wires to beat properly.
The recording from pacemaker’s computer helps the doctor to adjust the pacemaker so it can work better.
Living with the Pacemaker
Although most of the modern pacemakers are built to last but they definitely need some care. So every patient with a pacemaker should follow the instructions provided by their physician. The general guidelines are as follows:
- Clear all your queries and concerns about your condition and the pacemaker with your physician
- Take all the medications as prescribed by your doctor to help your heart pump regularly
- Restrict your activity for some period and take as much rest as possible
- Avoid any kind of sudden, jerky or violent actions that can pull your arm away from your body. This may disturb the placement of your pacemaker.
- Be physically active by walking and doing light limb movements
- Limit your activity before getting tired
- Do not put pressure on the site of pacemaker
- Feel free to take baths and showers as pacemaker is completely protected against contact with water
- Continue your usual sexual activity
- Always carry your pacemaker ID card with you as security may detect them as metal devices
- Follow up with your doctor to check the working of pacemaker, its leads and battery
- Show your pulse records to your healthcare provider at every visit
Pacemaker implant is a procedure that requires expertise of a cardiac surgeon and Indian cardiac surgeons are very well skilled to perform this procedure with precision and ease.
All the latest pacemakers are readily available at best heart hospitals in India and can be implanted as per the requirement of the patient. Indian hospitals have especially dedicated and fully equipped department for cardiac patients where they are very well taken care of.
The cost of permanent pacemaker implantation in India is far less than the western countries without any compromise on the quality of treatment. The pre and post procedure time can be very well utilized as a vacation to the exotic and beautiful locations of India.
India is undoubtedly the best medical tourism destination and IndiCure is the most trusted medical tourism company for heart surgery in India. IndiCure makes sure that the heart patients are treated with heart and they get most appropriate treatment at the most affordable price.
|India not only offers quality medical services at affordable cost, it is a great tourist destination as well|
Choosing IndiCure will not only assure you availability and affordability of the treatment but will also facilitate the most appropriate type of pacemaker implant under the guidance of expert cardiac surgeons. IndiCure is a certified, experienced and renowned medical tourism company and is associated with the best in class hospitals and heart surgeons
For more information on pacemakers in India or pacemaker prices in India at affordable rates, call us at +91 932-003-6777 (India number) or +1-877-270-2448 (US Toll Free) or write to us at email@example.com or talk to us at Skype @ Indicure