Obesity is a burning issue in many countries today. The main culprits behind this epidemic are junk food, lack of exercise, and a generally unhealthy lifestyle. Obesity leads to various physical and mental health problems; which if not treated, could lead to various other serious ailments and sometimes even death.
Some individuals cannot maintain a healthy weight despite putting in a lot of effort, due to underlying medical conditions. For all such people, the medical field has come up with the solution of bariatric surgery.
Bariatric Surgery is the process where the natural anatomy of the gastrointestinal tract is modified such that it prevents much food intake and calories absorption by the body and assists in the process of weight loss.
Bariatric surgery is a major surgery and involves rerouting of the GI tract. Hence, it is very important to ensure that you are choosing the best surgeon; one who is highly qualified and experienced and understands your specific weight loss needs.
How to select the Best Surgeon for your Bariatric Surgery in India
The first and foremost is to make sure that your doctor has all the credentials needed to perform this surgery. In order to be a Bariatric (Obesity) Surgeon in India, he/she should have following qualifications:
● Compulsory- Masters of Science (MS) in General Surgery
● And Master of Surgery (MCh) in Obesity/ Laparoscopic Surgery
Additionally- DNB/FRCS/MRCS from International Colleges and Hospitals
-International Fellowship and Training Programs
- Have publications in reputed scientific and medical journals
Trusting your surgeon is important because you are putting your life and well being in his/her hand.
Apart from these academic credentials, you must also consider following things when selecting your bariatric surgeon so you can place your faith entirely in his decision and actions:
● Clinical Experience is of utmost importance while gauging any doctor’s credibility. When you are determining a bariatric surgeon’s expertise, it is important to note that the surgeon should be performing at least 100 bariatric surgeries in a year’s span.
● He/she should have knowledge about different procedures options that are available for bariatric surgery. After examining you and determining your needs, there are various procedures that can be performed for e.g. gastric sleeve is done so that the patient feels less hungry and full sooner while eating, gastric bypass makes you feel full sooner while eating and absorbs fewer calories, likewise there are other procedures like duodenal switch, lap-band etc. Hence, it is also important to know how many types of procedures the surgeon can perform so that he can objectively suggest the best possible procedure and individual prejudice can be avoided.
● It is equally important that the doctor has a great para-medical team which helps the patient in postoperative recovery because surgery is just the stepping stone towards the entire journey of weight loss.
● The institute where the surgeon will perform the surgery should be well equipped with modern technology and adequate amenities for a quick recovery. Once the surgery is performed, each and every patient has different requirements based on the surgery performed; hence supporting staff of the doctor is extremely important.
● It is crucial to select a surgeon who understands your concerns, is able to answer your queries and can put you at complete ease.
How can a medical tourism company help in making your decision
A good medical tourism company would not only assist you in finding the right bariatric surgeon but provide you with all the support you would need during your medical sojourn. Here’s how a professional and reputed medical tourism company can help you in different ways:
● Once you select a professional company like IndiCure to assist you, you have access to all information regarding different destinations, hospitals, procedures, and services at one location, instead of contacting each hospital on your own one by one. This saves a ton of time and energy, not to mention money. You can even visit IndiCure’s website and request a price estimate for a particular procedure from various hospitals or clinics, and based on this estimate you can decide on which provider meets your needs and fits your budget too. Furthermore, once you have zeroed on your surgeon, it is our job to take care of all the travel logistics such as visa, flights, lodging, local transportation, hotel stay, and the appointments with the doctor, etc.
● Our experts have already done the groundwork for you, making sure that the hospital and doctor selected by you are duly accredited and licensed. We visit the hospitals and physicians in order to make the entire process easier and safer.
● It can be challenging to contact hospitals due to time zone differences, language barriers, and cultural differences. IndiCure can come to your rescue as we have a strong healthcare network and a tried and true process in place with the hospitals. As relationships and systems are already in place, it is easier to transfer a patient’s medical records like large image files including CTs and MRIs.
Why choose IndiCure for your Bariatric Surgery in India
There are numerous companies providing most of the above-mentioned facilities, therefore it is important that you select a company that offers something more, making your visit to the country worthwhile.
· IndiCure is a pioneer in facilitating medical vacations in India, which are not only as well planned as your surgery, but truly relaxing and comforting in nature.
· IndiCure was founded in 2005 and since over a decade now provides economical, safe and quality surgical interventions in India to patients from all over the world.
· IndiCure makes sure that you get only the best of the surgeons and top hospitals in India and is known for the exceptional value we provide to our clients. We offer a variety of combo packages so that the clients can select the best option suiting their needs. It is one of the most trusted healthcare tourism agency in India and has earned many prestigious accolades and nominations over the years.
Our motto is to provide great service and hospitality to each and every patient and make the entire journey a great experience. Furthermore, depending on your health condition, we even provide customized vacations post surgery. Professionals at IndiCure take care of all your needs and strive hard to provide you with all comforts, making it the foremost choice for your bariatric surgery in India.