Frequently Asked Questions about Tummy Tuck
1. What exactly does tummy tuck do?
- Tummy tuck, medically known as Abdominoplasty removes the excess skin and fat deposits from the abdomen that appear as a consequence of pregnancies, old age, and obesity. It also removes stretch marks or scars in the upper abdominal area.
- Tummy tuck tightens the abdominal muscles to make your abdomen look firmer and your waist narrower.
- It may also help to solve preexisting problems, such as hernias or eventrations.
2. I am 20 kg overweight. Would tummy tuck reduce my weight?
Tummy tuck combined with liposuction of the abdomen can surely help you to lose some weight, but it is important to note that it does not treat obesity.
It is not a substitute for weight loss or bariatric surgery. Weight loss does happen to an extent, but you cannot expect to lose 20 kg with the tummy tuck.
For treating obesity or losing weight of 20 kgs or more, bariatric surgery is the right option.
3. Do abs really become like a wash-board after tummy tuck as advertised?
To have a washboard tummy, the original tummy must be a small tummy. One can achieve a washboard tummy in the patient who generally undergoes only liposuction for body contouring.
In general cases, the tummy will become considerably flatter and tight as a result of the tummy tuck and liposuction. Once the tummy is made flat, it is up to you to exercise vigorously and control your diet to ACHIEVE a "wash-board" tummy if you wish.
4. How do I know if I need a tummy tuck or Liposuction?
Liposuction removes excess fat from the abdomen and gives good shape and contour to the belly. However, if you have loose abdominal muscles, lax skin, hanging apron, stretch marks- you would need a tummy tuck to get a flat and taut abdomen. Tummy tuck shall remove the extra skin and tightens the muscles.
A qualified plastic surgeon can guide you the best procedure for you after having a look at your pictures of the area or after examining you.
An example of before after liposuction picture:
Note there is only extra fat to be removed
|Tummy tuck is needed to remove the Overhang|
5. What is the right age to get the tummy tuck done?
6. Does a male tummy tuck differ from a female tummy tuck?
7. Where would the incision be for the tummy tuck? Will I have a significant scar after the tummy tuck?
8. When will I be able to see the results after the surgery?You will begin to see a huge difference after the swelling subsides and the drains are taken out i.e 3-4 days after the procedure. All the extra skin would have gone and the muscles tightened.
However, the final results shall be apparent in about 4-5 weeks when the swelling completely subsides.
The results of the surgery are permanent but with proper diet and exercise. However, significant weight loss or gain, pregnancy and age may adversely affect the results.