Lung cancer is the most common cancer and the #1 cancer killer of millions worldwide. November is observed as Lung Cancer Awareness Month every year. All we have to do is raise critical awareness about lung cancer and turn the tide against this disease. In this blog, we share some important insights into lung cancer.
- Lung cancer causes 1.76 million deaths worldwide.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths among both men and women, making up almost 25% of all cancer deaths.
- Lung cancer ranks first worldwide with an incident rate of 11.6% compared to other types of cancer and is the leading cause of death, 18.4% of the total cancer deaths.
- Cigarette smoking is linked to about 90% of lung cancer deaths.
- Most patients do not show symptoms of lung cancer until they have reached advanced stages.
All about Lung Cancer
Lungs are one of the most vital organs in the human body. They are responsible for the fundamental act of breathing and play a very significant role in keeping the body healthy.
However, in recent times, diseases such as lung cancer have become extremely common. Cancer in the lungs happens when the cancer cells invade the lungs and destroy the healthy cells of the lungs thereby hindering the normal functions of the lung. Cancer in the lungs may take several years to develop.
At times, these cancer cells may spread to affect other parts of the body through metastasis. Lung cancer often goes unnoticed in the early stages as it hardly produces any symptoms. Advanced cancer may show up symptoms like blood in the cough, persistent cough, chest pain, hoarseness in the voice, recurrent chest infection, etc. There are two main types of lungs cancer:
• Small cell lung cancer (SCLC): Small cell lung cancer starts in the air tubes that advances to the bronchi and affect the lung tissue. It produces large tumors that can spread faster to other parts.
• Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Makes up 85% of all the lung cancer which are slow-growing and larger.
The following are the risk factors that are responsible for developing lung cancer.
- Age: It has been observed that lung cancer mostly affects older adults.
- Smoking: Tobacco smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer. Tobacco contains several chemicals like carbon monoxide that are carcinogenic which immediately triggers changes in your lung tissue. The longer you smoke tobacco, the more are the chances of getting lung cancer.
- Genetic inheritance: If any of your immediate family members have had lung cancer, then the risk is higher than you may acquire the disease.
- Exposure to carcinogens like asbestos, radon, arsenic, coal products, diesel exhaust, mustard gas, etc. are likely to trigger the development of lung cancer over a period.
- Past medical history of lung disease like TB, COPD, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema.
- Exposure to ionizing radiation
In the current scenario, taking care of your lungs is more important than ever. People living with lung cancer, have been advised to take extra precautions as they face a higher risk of becoming severely ill from COVID-19. Experts say patients with lung cancer may have a higher risk of contracting coronavirus infection.
Tips to prevent lung cancer and reduce your risk during the ongoing pandemic:
- Quit smoking - Since smoking is the leading cause of death due to lung cancer, people are always advised to stay away from smoking. Moreover, this tip is more important during the current pandemic.
- Avoid exposure to second-hand smoke - Standing around your friends or colleagues while they smoke a cigarette can be more harmful. Make sure to avoid any sort of exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Wear a mask - Although it has become very important to wear masks it is also crucial to use a mask to keep you safe from harmful air pollutants.
- Healthy, balanced diet – The key to reducing the risk of lung cancer is a healthy, balanced diet.
- Breathing exercises – Breathing exercises help to keep the lungs healthy and clean. It also prevents the development
By following these simple tips, one can reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19 and keep your lungs healthy for life.
Lung Cancer Treatment in India
available in India match the best in the world. With an increasing number of
cancer cases being diagnosed every year, cancer treatment advancements are also
Treating lung cancer is very challenging. To regulate the survival rates, it is essential to know the stage of the disease. The treatment for lung cancer can either be curative in which the interventions are done to control the growth of cancer, or it can be palliative, which aims to improve the quality of life by managing pain and associated symptoms.
The golden standard for lung cancer treatment is surgery which involves the complete removal of the cancerous tumor. The procedures that are usually performed are Wedge resection or segmental resection, Lobectomy, and Pneumonectomy. These procedures are performed using VATS (Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery).
Other treatment options include Chemotherapy, Radiation therapy, and Radiosurgery.
One can experience improvement in the quality of life after undergoing treatment. Moreover, minimally invasive surgery helps patients lead a life with less pain after the surgery, better immunity, and a better chance of normal breathing, and comparatively less time of recovery.
Lung Cancer Treatment Cost in India
India is considered one of the most affordable places for cancer treatment in the world. The cost of surgery for lung cancer treatment ranges from $3,000 to $7,000. These costs may vary depending upon the medical condition of the patient, facility, and the city you choose to undergo the treatment.
Lung treatment cost in India is typically one tenth or even less than what it costs to get the same treatment done in the Western countries.
IndiCure is making it easy for you to help raise awareness for lung cancer by sharing this information about the #1 killer. Use your voice to help build awareness throughout November!
IndiCure is one of the largest and most renowned medical tourism companies in India offering cancer treatment at the best cancer hospitals in India at the most affordable cost. If you are willing to schedule your lung cancer treatment with IndiCure, you can send us your medical reports at email@example.com. You may call or WhatsApp our coordinator and book directly at +91 9320036777.